We are looking for a Fall Flower Farm Worker
Reporting to the farm in the west end of Tkaronto (Toronto), Ontario. Compensation is $18.00 per hour.
A little bit about us
Growing Tkaronto is an urban specialty cut flower farm and floral studio committed to regenerative and anti-oppression practices. We grow in the Junction, Roncesvalles, High Park North, and Wychwood. We are part of the Local Flower Collective and source 100% Ontario-grown flowers. We are proudly queer and BIPOC-owned, and prioritize hiring racialized and marginalized folks.
We are looking for
An energetic and hardworking team member who takes charge in completing the necessary day-to-day tasks in the flower fields. The position is seasonal and part-time in nature, beginning in September and ending in December, weather dependent. The position is for 26 hours a week, Tuesday through Saturday. Previous experience in a complex, interdependent environment (farm or busy cafe/restaurant) and an ability to keep the farm’s success in mind at all times is highly desirable.
• Weeding quickly and efficiently
• Washing buckets
• Biking between flower fields
• Understanding the proper stage of harvest and post-harvest treatment of all crops
• Harvesting efficiently and accurately
• Processing and bunching flowers with an eye for quality
• Assisting with fulfilling weekly orders as needed
• Understanding and administering proper watering for all plants in the field
• Assisting with farmers’ markets when necessary
• Performing general operational duties such as trash removal, sweeping up, etc.
• Assisting with end-of-season farm prep such as removing material from beds, digging dahlia tubers, planting fall crops
• Must be willing to begin the morning shift at 7 am and end the evening shift at 9 pm.
• Must be able and willing to lift 30+ lbs. repeatedly on a daily basis
• Must be able and willing to hustle and be on your feet all day
• Must be able and willing to work in all types of weather conditions, including heat, humidity, rain
• Must be comfortable using bicycle for transportation [fields are spread out in different neighbourhoods]
• Must possess effective and positive communication skills
• Must be goal-oriented and self-motivated in order to work independently on a regular basis
To apply: Please send Resume and Letter of Intent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Fall Flower Farm Worker Application” in the subject line.
Please note: This position does not involve floral design; this position is dedicated to flower farming.